GNS Science has revised down the risk of another big quake to follow the magnitude 6.5 earthquake that struck the capital at 5.09pm on Sunday.
Thanks to a lack of major aftershocks overnight iPad Cases
, the prediction for a tremor measuring over magnitude 6 in the next 24 hours has reduced from 20 per cent to 10 per cent.
"We've had a relatively quiet night so it's not surprising to see that number dropping off," GNS duty seismologist John Ristau told NZ Newswire.
"That's not to say there isn't going to be another big one though. People need to be aware of that."
He said the agency was carefully monitoring patterns from the string of quakes that started with a 5.7 jolt just after 9am on Friday.
It was followed by a 5.8 on Sunday morning, the violent shake late Sunday afternoon and about 120 aftershocks since then, according to GeoNet.
There have been few reports of damage and injury but the swarm has brought Wellington CBD to a standstill as workers are warned to stay home while buildings and infrastructure get safety checks.
Mr Ristau said the activity was triggered by friction between the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates which meet over New Zealand and push against one another.
Interestingly, it seems to be the plates rubbing up and down against each other, rather than typical thrusting forwards, Dentist Hong Kong
that is responsible for this series, he said.
The exact fault point involved has yet to be determined.
He said the quake centre had moved to the south-west since Friday, a pattern typically seen in these seismic swarms as earthquake "stress" is transferred away from the epicentre handbags embroidery
The quakes are similar to a series of four earthquakes over magnitude 5 that struck the region in 2005. They hit 10 to 15 km southwest of the current swarm and caused no damage.
- 2013/07/22(月) 17:04:54|
What Fepuleai didn't know was that the gun was loaded.
The joke quickly turned deadly when Fepuleai pulled the trigger, food wine
firing a fatal shot into the stomach of 23-year-old Alex Mark Ulu outside their south Auckland home on January 2.
Mr Ulu died from his injuries in hospital 16 days later.
Not quite six months on from his cousin's death, 29-year-old Fepuleai on Wednesday pleaded guilty in the High Court in Auckland to Mr Ulu's manslaughter.
According to the summary of facts, read to the court by crown prosecutor Aaron Perkins, on the night of the shooting Fepuleai was drinking at his Flat Bush home, which he shared with Mr Ulu and other family members, with a friend.
Fepuleai's friend told him he had a rifle in his vehicle, which the pair got out to have a look at.
Though the friend had initially removed the ammunition from the gun, he later replaced it, formation of company
unbeknown to Fepuleai.
When Mr Ulu arrived home, Fepuleai asked his friend to give him the gun because he wanted to scare his cousin "for a laugh".
As Mr Ulu got out of his car and walked towards the front door, Fepuleai pointed the gun at him and asked him to put his hands up.
Mr Ulu eventually did so, but Fepuleai proceeded to pull the trigger, Asian college of knowledge management
firing a shot into his cousin's stomach.
Mr Ulu was rushed to Middlemore Hospital, where he was placed on life support. He underwent 12 operations, but he died as result of his injuries on January 18.
Fepuleai had only intended to scare Mr Ulu and had no knowledge a bullet was loaded, the summary of facts said.
Justice Timothy Brewer further remanded Fepuleai in custody for sentencing on August 27.
- 2013/07/10(水) 18:58:04|